Fieldwork research in East Africa requires a research permit which you need to apply for. In Kenya and Uganda, you must obtain ethical clearance prior to your research permit application.
1. In Kenya, this permit is called a “research license” and is delivered by NACOSTI. You need to apply for it online: https://research-portal.nacosti.go.ke. It is advised to organize the payment of the fees once in Kenya.
Masters: 350 USD; PhD: 400 USD; Postdoc.: 500 USD.
2. In Tanzania, this permit is called “research clearance” and is delivered by COSTECH. You need to apply for it online: https://www.costech.or.tz/registration. It is advised to organize the payment of the fees once in Tanzania (350 USD).
3. In Uganda, this permit is delivered by UNCST. You need to apply for it online: https://research.uncst.go.ug. It first requests application for ethical clearance: https://www.uncst.go.ug/research-ethics-committee-accreditation/
You can write to the following email addresses for direct information and guidance from UNCST:
- For ethical clearance from Makerere University School of Social Sciences Research Ethics Committee (MAKSS REC): The Administrator Ms. Birungi Judith <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Professor Neema Stella <email@example.com>
- For research permits: Research Management – UNCST <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In Kenya, access to the National Archives in Nairobi (http://www.archives.go.ke) does NOT require the research license from NACOSTI. In Tanzania, you can access the National Archives in Dar es Salaam only if you have obtained research clearance from COSTECH.